It is springtime in Utah. I did not go down to Palm Desert this weekend so I am in Utah. Yesterday I played golf at Hidden Valley Country Club with my regular Thursday group (the Staker Group). I had not played at HVCC since October and it was nice to play with the boys. There is nothing quite like a regular buddy's golf group. The companionship, the insults, the bets. Sometimes, golf is secondary to the interaction with the boys. For men, love is expressed with insults and jokes. I am so blessed to have the men friends that I have. It was nice to be with the guys.
I ran into a number of HVCC friends yesterday that I had not seen since autumn. Oh my, it was wonderful to see them, give them a hug and warm hello. What is life without your family and friends.. The people who are happy to see you. The people who you are happy to see.. Those who make your life better. I am lucky.
I have a lot of yard to do to get ready for summer. Today, I picked up sticks in the back yard that had fallen over the winter. The grass is green and this week I cut the lawn for the first time this year. The water was running in the creek in our back yard.
This weekend I need to pay the bills, clean the house, run some errands and miss my wife ( she is still in Palm Desert). Although wives can be pains in the ###, when I am apart from mine, I miss her more than I can say. To hear her voice on the phone brings a brightness to my day. I am lucky to be part of her life and she part of mine.
Recently Read Books
- A Delicate Truth- John Le Carre (fiction)
- Perfect - Rachel Joyce (Fiction)
- The Expats - Chris Pavone (Fiction)
- An Event in Autumn - Henning Mankel (Fiction)
- Winter in Madrid - C.J.Sansom (Fiction)
- The Brothers - John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles - non-fiction
- LIfe Among Giants - Bill Roorbach (Novel)
- Empty Mansions - Bill Dedman (non-fiction)
- Woodrow Wilson (non fiction)
- Lawrence in Arabia (Non-Fiction)
- In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helpren (Fiction)
- Lesson in French - Hilary Reyl (fiction)
- Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand (Non-Fiction)
- Venice, A New History- Thomas Madden - (Non- Fiction)
- Life is a Gift - Tony Bennett Autobiography
- The First Counsell - Brad Meltzer (Fiction)
- Destiny of the Republic - President James Garfield non-fiction by Candice Millard
- The Last Lion (volume III)- William Manchester and Paul Reid (non-fiction, Winston Churchill)
- Yellowstone Autumn -W.D. Wetherell (non-fiction about turning 55 and fishing in Yellowstone)
- Everybody was Young- (non-fiction Paris in the 1920's)
- Scorpion - (non fiction US Supreme Court)
- Supreme Power - Jeff Shesol (non-fiction)
- Zero day by David Baldacci ( I read all of Baldacci's Books)
- Northwest Angle - William Kent Krueger (fiction - I have read 5 or 6 books by this author)
- Camelot's Court-Insider the Kennedy Whitehouse- Robert Dallek
- Childe Hassam -Impressionist (a beautiful book of his paintings)