One day a couple of years ago, my wife, the Lovely Sharon and I played golf with another couple. I wore a nice pair of black shorts and a great blue shirt. When we got to the golf course I saw that the other fellow also had on black shorts and a blue shirt.
For the entire round the other poor chap and I were told by our wives that black and blue clothes don’t go together. What were we thinking? Didn’t we look in the mirror?
During our round of golf, the Lovely Sharon told me about my clothing faux pas for twelve holes and his wife did the same to him. Then the ladies seemed to silently agree to a hand off of sorts and for the final six holes his wife told me how bad I looked while the Lovely Sharon provided him with similar condemnation.
The seamless timing of when each wife started criticizing the other husband’s selection in golf attire almost had a choreographed feel to it, like they had practiced this hand off. I am pretty sure if it had been filmed from above it would have looked like synchronized swimming. But I think it wasn’t planned, it was just a god given talent that women seem to have; an inherent instinct. I didn’t even realize it had happened until three holes after it started. That’s when I realized the fashion advice I was receiving was now being provided by his wife while my wife had moved on to him.
By the way, last week I played golf with my buddies in Salt Lake while the Lovely Sharon was still in Palm Desert. I wore a nice pair of black shorts and a great blue shirt. I really looked good.
Recently Read Books
- A Delicate Truth- John Le Carre (fiction)
- Perfect - Rachel Joyce (Fiction)
- The Expats - Chris Pavone (Fiction)
- An Event in Autumn - Henning Mankel (Fiction)
- Winter in Madrid - C.J.Sansom (Fiction)
- The Brothers - John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles - non-fiction
- LIfe Among Giants - Bill Roorbach (Novel)
- Empty Mansions - Bill Dedman (non-fiction)
- Woodrow Wilson (non fiction)
- Lawrence in Arabia (Non-Fiction)
- In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helpren (Fiction)
- Lesson in French - Hilary Reyl (fiction)
- Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand (Non-Fiction)
- Venice, A New History- Thomas Madden - (Non- Fiction)
- Life is a Gift - Tony Bennett Autobiography
- The First Counsell - Brad Meltzer (Fiction)
- Destiny of the Republic - President James Garfield non-fiction by Candice Millard
- The Last Lion (volume III)- William Manchester and Paul Reid (non-fiction, Winston Churchill)
- Yellowstone Autumn -W.D. Wetherell (non-fiction about turning 55 and fishing in Yellowstone)
- Everybody was Young- (non-fiction Paris in the 1920's)
- Scorpion - (non fiction US Supreme Court)
- Supreme Power - Jeff Shesol (non-fiction)
- Zero day by David Baldacci ( I read all of Baldacci's Books)
- Northwest Angle - William Kent Krueger (fiction - I have read 5 or 6 books by this author)
- Camelot's Court-Insider the Kennedy Whitehouse- Robert Dallek
- Childe Hassam -Impressionist (a beautiful book of his paintings)