A friend of mine who lives alone was asleep at 3:00 a.m this morning when he was awakened by a noise in his house. As he awoke, he heard even more noise. He got up, put on his pants and his glasses. He shouted "what is going on" and walked into his kitchen. As he entered the kitchen, a burglar ran out the back door. How scary is that. My friend called the cops. The cops arrived at his house and checked things out. They found the burglar's back pack in a basement window well. The backpack contained a couple of pairs of gloves, some tools, a bus schedule and a cell phone. Hopefully the cell phone will help the cops find this guy. It is surprising that the get away vehicle was to be a city bus. I can picture the burglar on the bus in a black outfit and a ski mask. The cops are in a patrol car behind the bus chasing the burglar. As the bus stops at each bus stop, the cops in their car, patiently wait in their car behind the bus.
My friend was describing the crime to me and a 65 year old woman friend who told us about a break in at her house. She told us, "I sleep naked and one night very late I heard someone in my house. I jumped out of bed and walked naked down the hall. I saw a fellow in the darkened house. My plan was to sneak up on him and kick him in the throat." For some reason, the image of a 65 year old naked woman doing a kung fu kick to the throat of an intruder, was extremely hilarius to me. The end of the story is that the intruder was the drunk boy friend of her daughter who thought the daughter was in the house. The other end of the story. I know the boy friend and have actually played golf with him. Next time I play golf with him I gonna take off my clothes and try to kick him in the throat.
On tonight's Salt Lake City news there was a story about a man who killed his aunt and dumped her body up a snowy canyon in Utah County. The alleged killer was the nephew of the deceased and lived at her house. His name was Damien. Did you ever watch the movie called "The Omen" or any of its sequels? The devil or the son of the devil, I forget which, was named Damien. After watching those movies would you ever allow anyone named Damien to live in your house? You know that nothing good is going to come out of that. When they showed the guy's mugshot he looked like a devil. Its like you would never try to pet a pit bull named killer. Would you invite a guy named Dick Cheney to live with you? I think not.
I just read the following story on CNN.com:
"There was no profanity, no hate. Just the words, "I love my friends Abby and Faith. Lex was here 2/1/10 " scrawled on the classroom desk with a green marker. Alexa Gonzalez, an outgoing 12-year-old who likes to dance and draw, expected a lecture or maybe detention for her doodles earlier this month. Instead, the principal of the Junior High School in Forest Hills, New York, called police, and the seventh-grader was taken across the street to the police precinct. Alexa's hands were cuffed behind her back, and tears gushed as she was escorted from school in front of teachers and -- the worst audience of all for a preadolescent girl -- her classmates. "They put the handcuffs on me, and I couldn't believe it," Alexa recalled. "I didn't want them to see me being handcuffed, thinking I'm a bad person."
Its hard to imagine handcuffing a 12 year old girl, a good student, a good girl, for writing "I love my friends" on a desk in green ink.
My advise to you: keep your doors locked, don't sleep naked and don't write on a school desk.
Recently Read Books
- A Delicate Truth- John Le Carre (fiction)
- Perfect - Rachel Joyce (Fiction)
- The Expats - Chris Pavone (Fiction)
- An Event in Autumn - Henning Mankel (Fiction)
- Winter in Madrid - C.J.Sansom (Fiction)
- The Brothers - John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles - non-fiction
- LIfe Among Giants - Bill Roorbach (Novel)
- Empty Mansions - Bill Dedman (non-fiction)
- Woodrow Wilson (non fiction)
- Lawrence in Arabia (Non-Fiction)
- In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helpren (Fiction)
- Lesson in French - Hilary Reyl (fiction)
- Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand (Non-Fiction)
- Venice, A New History- Thomas Madden - (Non- Fiction)
- Life is a Gift - Tony Bennett Autobiography
- The First Counsell - Brad Meltzer (Fiction)
- Destiny of the Republic - President James Garfield non-fiction by Candice Millard
- The Last Lion (volume III)- William Manchester and Paul Reid (non-fiction, Winston Churchill)
- Yellowstone Autumn -W.D. Wetherell (non-fiction about turning 55 and fishing in Yellowstone)
- Everybody was Young- (non-fiction Paris in the 1920's)
- Scorpion - (non fiction US Supreme Court)
- Supreme Power - Jeff Shesol (non-fiction)
- Zero day by David Baldacci ( I read all of Baldacci's Books)
- Northwest Angle - William Kent Krueger (fiction - I have read 5 or 6 books by this author)
- Camelot's Court-Insider the Kennedy Whitehouse- Robert Dallek
- Childe Hassam -Impressionist (a beautiful book of his paintings)