I spent Super Bowl Sunday in Palm Desert. We played golf with some friends on a beautiful sunny day. The golf round took a long time compared to normal and I played my normal bad game but it was nice to be out of doors on the beautiful Ironwood golf course. After golf we freshened up for a Super Bowl party at the Club. The party was in the Ironwood Clubhouse lounge with four televisions and lots of football fans. We sat at a table with dear friends and also knew most of the folks at the other tables so we walked around talking to everyone. I brought my camera and took a bunch of photos of the party goers and the staff. The Ironwood staff, from the Club manager on down, is a terrific bunch of nice, hard working folks who make it a pleasure to spend time at the Club. One of the wonderful things about being a member of Club is all of the wonderful relationships you develop. People you have grown to care about and spend time with.
The Lovely Sharon signed up for several squares on the betting board, won the first quarter score bet and collected a $100. She walked around with her cash winnings spread out like a poker hand. She seems to be pretty lucky in these things frequently winning drawings. One year she won diamond earrings and last summer she won a big haul of wine and alcohol.
Although the football game was terrific this year, the best part of the entire event is hanging out with people. I really did not watch many of the ads because of the loudness of the party but I will try to see them on the internet.
I took the following photo right before the football game started while I was standing on the Ironwood patio. You can see what a beautiful day it was.
Recently Read Books
- A Delicate Truth- John Le Carre (fiction)
- Perfect - Rachel Joyce (Fiction)
- The Expats - Chris Pavone (Fiction)
- An Event in Autumn - Henning Mankel (Fiction)
- Winter in Madrid - C.J.Sansom (Fiction)
- The Brothers - John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles - non-fiction
- LIfe Among Giants - Bill Roorbach (Novel)
- Empty Mansions - Bill Dedman (non-fiction)
- Woodrow Wilson (non fiction)
- Lawrence in Arabia (Non-Fiction)
- In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helpren (Fiction)
- Lesson in French - Hilary Reyl (fiction)
- Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand (Non-Fiction)
- Venice, A New History- Thomas Madden - (Non- Fiction)
- Life is a Gift - Tony Bennett Autobiography
- The First Counsell - Brad Meltzer (Fiction)
- Destiny of the Republic - President James Garfield non-fiction by Candice Millard
- The Last Lion (volume III)- William Manchester and Paul Reid (non-fiction, Winston Churchill)
- Yellowstone Autumn -W.D. Wetherell (non-fiction about turning 55 and fishing in Yellowstone)
- Everybody was Young- (non-fiction Paris in the 1920's)
- Scorpion - (non fiction US Supreme Court)
- Supreme Power - Jeff Shesol (non-fiction)
- Zero day by David Baldacci ( I read all of Baldacci's Books)
- Northwest Angle - William Kent Krueger (fiction - I have read 5 or 6 books by this author)
- Camelot's Court-Insider the Kennedy Whitehouse- Robert Dallek
- Childe Hassam -Impressionist (a beautiful book of his paintings)