I will be so glad when the election is over. I like politics and I like the study of government but the election cycle is just toooooo long. I am tired of the bickering. I am tired of the attacks. I just want it over both on the national stage and the local stage. I am voting for President Obama, but if I were betting, I would bet that Governor Romney will win. There was an excellent article about Governor Romney in the October 1, 2012 issue of the "New Yorker" magazine. It dealt with several facets of his politics, his personal life and his business life. I actually felt more positive toward him after reading the article. If you have access to it, check it out.
I didn't watch much of last night's VP debate. I have spoken to moderator Martha Raddatz a couple of times about a year ago, as well as her husband, PBS Journalist Tom Gjelten. One day Matha called me from her cell phone and I asked her where she was and she told me that she had just driven into the CIA parking lot to get briefed for an assignment she was undertaking for ABC News to a country in the Mideast. She told me the name of the country but don't remember which one it was. I thought that was pretty interesting.
Her husband Tom wrote a great book about Cuba, Barcardi and the Long Fight For Cuba which he was kind of enough to send me an inscribed copy.
I was more interested in watching Martha last night that Joe or Paul.
Recently Read Books
- A Delicate Truth- John Le Carre (fiction)
- Perfect - Rachel Joyce (Fiction)
- The Expats - Chris Pavone (Fiction)
- An Event in Autumn - Henning Mankel (Fiction)
- Winter in Madrid - C.J.Sansom (Fiction)
- The Brothers - John Foster Dulles and Allen Dulles - non-fiction
- LIfe Among Giants - Bill Roorbach (Novel)
- Empty Mansions - Bill Dedman (non-fiction)
- Woodrow Wilson (non fiction)
- Lawrence in Arabia (Non-Fiction)
- In Sunlight and In Shadow by Mark Helpren (Fiction)
- Lesson in French - Hilary Reyl (fiction)
- Unbroken- Laura Hillenbrand (Non-Fiction)
- Venice, A New History- Thomas Madden - (Non- Fiction)
- Life is a Gift - Tony Bennett Autobiography
- The First Counsell - Brad Meltzer (Fiction)
- Destiny of the Republic - President James Garfield non-fiction by Candice Millard
- The Last Lion (volume III)- William Manchester and Paul Reid (non-fiction, Winston Churchill)
- Yellowstone Autumn -W.D. Wetherell (non-fiction about turning 55 and fishing in Yellowstone)
- Everybody was Young- (non-fiction Paris in the 1920's)
- Scorpion - (non fiction US Supreme Court)
- Supreme Power - Jeff Shesol (non-fiction)
- Zero day by David Baldacci ( I read all of Baldacci's Books)
- Northwest Angle - William Kent Krueger (fiction - I have read 5 or 6 books by this author)
- Camelot's Court-Insider the Kennedy Whitehouse- Robert Dallek
- Childe Hassam -Impressionist (a beautiful book of his paintings)